Mindcontroll Forum Index
Mindcontroll Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<< » Read! :) Goto page 1, 2  Next
Read! :) (can't come up with good subject)
PostPosted: 10-28-2002 05:45 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

I have a dream..! Where the number of stupid and/or lame posts on this forum are kept to a minimum, and lots of intresting threads are posted!

In other, non-abnormal, words: wouldn't it be fun if there was some intresting activity here? The programming forum is the only one worth looking at imo. The rest are filled with CRAP.

I've said this before. Why not try to do something with this place? the hardest thing for new forums is getting the first users, which we already have!

I think that lots of ppl might still have the idea that the forum is only for ppl from the irc chan or something like that. I think that the irc chan should be for the forum, and that ppl should get ppl to the forum... I've tried with some ppl, but they don't like english forums for some reason.

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 05:47 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

just a thought , but [IMO] the programming forum is good because the people there are interested in discussing the things that go on there, and they are reasonably clever/intelligent/good at what they are talking about. Its hard to get that level of speciality in a 'general' forum [/IMO]

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 05:49 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

Well, yeah, but the current level of posts in general discussion is... well... "HONK if you love Jesus!", 15 different kinds of "what kind of *** are you ?".... those subjects talks for themselves imo Smile

expulsion for stupidity
PostPosted: 10-28-2002 05:52 PM Reply with quote
Dark Creature
Eats Boogers

If people post stupid threads just delete the thread and boot them or ban them directly from connecting to this forum
View user's profile Find all posts by %s Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 05:53 PM Reply with quote
Shn
R.I.P.

you'd have to empty the forum

The Shning, more useful than The Useful Site

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 06:05 PM Reply with quote
ouroboross
mr froggie

boon?

note to lsd: add boon to the spellchecker please... Very Happy

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 06:06 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

ouroboross wrote:

boon?

note to lsd: add boon to the spellchecker please... Very Happy

Thanks for perfect example... *gives up hope*

Re: expulsion for stupidity
PostPosted: 10-28-2002 06:29 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

Dark Creature wrote:

If people post stupid threads just delete the thread and boot them or ban them directly from connecting to this forum

you are forgetting, this place is a shadow of its former self

i seem to remember you from 1yr+ ago... things were more than slightly different then , dont you think ? Very Happy

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 08:38 PM Reply with quote
Dawgy
Burn your flag.

er.. i personally like the idle chatting and/or humor.

My favorite section would be the news section. As lately it has sprung up with exellent reads both true and untrue (thus funny)

PostPosted: 10-28-2002 09:46 PM Reply with quote
M0nKeY
- Remember -

I've been trying my best to keep the annoying fluff/flaming off the forum and if you want to have a light conversation, theres always the backyard. Lately I think that most of the posts have been rather intriguing and I'm finally starting to enjoy the cool stuff people have to say on here. Its an individual effort. In the past 2 weeks there have been less than 5 posts I would consider pointless or annoying. I think most of you guys come up with great content. Also the place seems to be blessed with quite a number of intelligent people and very few "losers"

<center></center>

The general forum does have some questionable thread titles and repetitive stuff. But the only "What kind of ____" test there is the nerd one. The others are in the backyard. (The sad thing is that while pezko is the one complaining. He has the ability to move threads)

I'm not gonna sit here and be like... "Oh well this persons Idea doesn't deserve to be here." If its reasonable and the title isn't totally obligatory *COUGH* then I see no reason a thread should be moved from General Discussion.

<center></center>

The problem I have with pezkos comments is that they give no new ideas or direction. They just basically say... "I don't like the way it is." That really achieves nothing.

If there are any new sections or other accommodations you would like me to make I would be happy to. Just drop me a message or post your ideas here.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 02:33 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Hmmm.. lose vbb, but first make a custom styleset for phpBB or whatever. And with custom, I mean completely different, not the same page with different colors Smile. Get some home made stuff in there, for instance the php code thingie I wrote that is in the programs section. Make it original.
Add more forums, sure they'll probably be empty for some time, but IMHO we should have a:

• Games section, with game reviews as a forum and game talk where you can discuss games or problems with games as a forum
  • Software section, not integrated with the programming section, so you can discuss stuff like OS' es, or problems with FlashFXP, whatevah!
  • Movie forum, like the game forum.
  • Change "Quotes" to "Logs"
  • Some sort of real serious forum where stuff like sience / religion, etc. can be discussed

The above wont make the forum better, but it gives the users the ability to post better threads, cause they have more things to discuss about.
Also, make a forum where the moderators, admins, etc. can come and discuss trouble makers ("Suislide!"). Bah, pressing send now!

[edit]
So I mean, split the releases section into w sections called movies and games and in those 2 forums, reviews and movie/game discussion. Also get more tech forums, there arent any lamers there, and if there were, their posts would be deleted by me.
Im never sure if I should remove a post in general discussion, cause I am not the one that makes the rules here. So I also vote for a ruleset for every forum (kinda like the faq I have made at the programming section).

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 06:37 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

ya, phpBB is nice, lots of good things can be done with that. not much point switching when this place has valid vBB though ..

if you wanted a custom board, what kind of hacks would you want to do ? all the normal stuff has been done, unless you are planning on some giant integration of wiki / news / articles / forum (yes, i do think that would be a good idea, and a good project .. more info on that later *maybe*)
[EDIT] Communities software that does the above would be cool. gonna look into it/how to implement it [/EDIT]

i agree a bit with LSD though, this board's main sections have always been for general use, and that means they follow the thinking patterns of those who visit it.

js

Last edited by js995 on 10-29-2002 06:39 AM; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 06:56 AM Reply with quote
ouroboross
mr froggie

shit that means, you're pretty fucked when it comes to me, and more importantly suislide!

BANANANA UNF UNF UNF !!!1!!!

Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 07:32 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Custom hack would most likely be graphical Smile.

I am for instance talking about my [code] tags that display line numbers Smile. Also, stuff that makes modding easier, like ways to fix the topic title, or make it put deleted posts in the trashcan and clean that every week. Also, what I really want are customizable rules per thread, so a moderator can say "Sure, you can use html in this thread" or "Only the topic starter and the moderators/admins can talk in here". Want more? Well, how about hiding threads? Having limited moderator powers in your own threads (close the thread, delete useless posts)? The ability to switch the board to a xml board, so users can use custom styles or scripts to fetch data (mirc scripts that alert you when a new post is made, etc.). The ability to switch to a clean forum (no images/smilies, no themes, just completely clean code) (- Try pressing "Show printable version" to get an idea).

I can think of a million hacks that would tweak the forum into a personal forum, but I do not want to hack vbulletin, just because I can never have the newest version because you'll have to pay for it. (LSD, did you pay for vbb?)

I mean, what makes this forum any different then the other forums out there? Sure, its run by people from an irc chan, so you instantely had a userbase, but it doesnt matter cause we have a userbase right now with lots of people that dont visit the chan.

The only thing that would attract people here would be if it has things other forums dont have, and to have interesting conversations, you'll need interesting people Razz.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 07:32 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Mmmk... I've been looking through some posts and come to the conclusion that I was wrong. It's not the forum that is the problem, it's only a few ppl. *cough suislide cough*

Like a certain post I deleted yesterday, where someone said something about gay forums blablabla...

I do think TumTum have a few good things tho... One thing being the rules. Right now it's hard to know what to do if you see something extremely lame/stupid/etc...

So, you wanted "new ideas or direction" (and I understand that, I usually stab ppl that only complain Smile ). Here are some things, some of them borrowed from tumtums post Smile

• Rules....
  • Some sort of real serious forum where stuff like sience / religion, etc. can be discussed (ctrl-c, ctrl-v Smile )

Another thing that would be nice, is as js says, a more custom board. Combining something like vB portal with a wiki, and more focus on the users, maybe something a lot of communities have here in sweden at least... All users have a little homepage, where they can put an image, a text about themselves...

I happen to have a almost finished community thing, fully skinnable (using patTemplate of course) with forum, users homepage and some more things.... I also have beginning of a wiki for php.. there is one available, but it sucks. Made for php3, and buggy as hell.

Having something else to offer than other forums is required if we want more users (and we do, don't we?)

And again, I'm sorry for my way of writing the first post Wink

(Will edit/post more info later...)

Read! :)
 Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<<