Mindcontroll Forum Index
Mindcontroll Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Mindcontroll Forum Index » Programs/Programming Development » Linux Distro's Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: 10-29-2002 07:59 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

But are the sources of QT and KDE on the gentoo cd? Cause I have no knowledge of the linux command shell (well, some). Now, to make sure I dont fuck up my big HDD with all the downloaded stuff, I could just unplug it, but there is always the change of me fucking up the windows XP partition. Ofcourse, if it guides you trough everything I will be allright.

Im going to buy a book about linux anyway, I mean if you want to be serious, your gonna have to need one Smile. But I was wondering, do you have a bought version of gentoo, or a downloaded one, cause if Im gonna use that, ill ofcourse go for the bought one even after I downloaded it Smile. I mean, I will really need the documentation for it!

When I tried out mandrake, multimedia wasnt something people used much in linux, and stuff like divx, xvid, svcd, dvd, etc. were a bitch to play. I have recently bought a tv card, and I remember reading an article about using linux as a vcr, so I'll probably be allright, tough I wonder if multimedia support can match up to windows.

Oh, and Pezko, why are you so against closed source? If you want to live of software development, I dont think closed source is an option. Im against OS' es like xandros and lindows because they refuse to give you any way of trying out the distro before buying it, but I understand the need to keep some code closed source.

The thing that attracts me tough is "apt get". How exactly does it work, and is it even in Gentoo?

Well, this post is to long!

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:07 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

There is almost nothing on the gentoo cd... portage, the package management system automatically downloads and compiles stuff for you, so when you type for example "emerge kde", it will first check all dependencies, then download packages, compile then, then install them Smile

Quote:
f you want to live of software development, I dont think closed source is an option.

I don't think closed source is good at any time... Wink

This is something I could keep going on about for long time, but short version: what would change compared to today if windows went open source and still cost money?

Multimedia support does not match windows... It's getting better, but is still quite far away.

And 90% of the things I've learned is from internet, friends or documentation... Never found a good linux book Smile

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:12 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

ARGH, that was the biggest spelling mistake ever Razz. Replace "closed-source" with "open source" in that sentence, otherwhise it doesnt make sense Razz.

How would I set up my internet connection when Im behind a router? Does it do that by itself, or does it require me to edit files and test, and edit files again?

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:18 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Oooh! only one question! Wink

Depends on the router of course.. if it's dhcp, just chnage one line in one file if you run gentoo Smile

otherwise you need to learn some things....

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:21 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

well, about kde

i typed

emerge kde

and 8 hours later, it finished compiling, and I had X, KDE, QT and all the rest

on Athlon XP 1800, 512mb DDR, 7200rpm HDD's

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:28 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

It is dhcp, but I like my static ip adress Smile (port forwarding, etc.). And there were 2 question you cheater! And I am sure I would go crazy if I typed something and then couldnt use the computer for 8 hours (ah, nights are good).

But does emerge work for everything (emerge fluxbox?), or just for some Razz. And when I would compile the kernel, how would I now all the switches to add support (eg. NTFS). Are they listed somewhere, or do you need to edit the source?

Do you guys still run windows somewhere, or is it all stuffed away in a vmware simulation? Do you spend most of your time in the command line or in the wm?

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:41 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Ok... The questions was very closesly related!

and you can do things while compiling... Smile

I run win too... 70 gb for win, 10 for GNU Smile

There is menu thingie for kernel compilation, with descriptions of stuff

forgot one question!

I sit in WM usually, but I have like 15 Eterms anyway... Smile

forgot another question!

there are approx 4000 .apps you can install through poratge... the only thing I haven't found is phoenix

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 10:40 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Ok, nice. Guess I'll be downloading gentoo on friday then, together with instructions, more instructions and even more instructions.

Still one of my previous questions remain. Is it possible to stay logged in with multiple users at the same time, and when you switch you immideatly have axx to all running programs again, like windows XP has?

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 11:51 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

I have 15gig for Linux

Then um, 20gig for XP and 2 NTFS partitions at 40gig and 80gig respectively.

so windows xp isnt exactly "hiding" on my box (its also the default boot option, and the OS i am typing this in now). When in linux i seem to spend a lot of time in Xterms and idle in the WM (theres something familiar about that :D)

I only use XP a lot at the moment because I am still playing with my gentoo linux, and its not exactly in a day-to-day usable state. (kinda important because a lot of stuff needs done)

About the documentation, all i can say is, PRINT THE DOCUMENTATION (if you dont have two computers, if you do, have the other one constantly displaying it). Make sure you have read the documentation about 10 times before starting the install. Everything you need to know is there, but its not all made to stand out from the rest, you need to know all of it.

About the users thing, the simple answer is no. You have to logout then log back in again in kde and other wm's (AFAIK) to use another user account. TTY's are fine about this though (obviously).

X clients mean that you can run lots and lots of X sessions on one box, but thats not exactly a single-terminal solution , hence the "no" answer.

Oh yeah, and when compiling the kernel, the "make menuconfig" option brings up a nice ncurses interface to let you choose what to compile in, what to make as a module and what options you want. Its relatively straightforward.

I get the feeling you arent the only one looking into alternative operating systems with interest here ....

Last edited by js995 on 10-29-2002 11:57 AM; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 03:50 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Quote:

I get the feeling you arent the only one looking into alternative operating systems with interest here ....

Yeah, this thread gets a whole lot of views, wich is good, cause for some reason people started visiting this section of the board Smile.

Anyway, the whole idea of building the OS from scratch will probably help me a lot in learning linux. I remember, that after I installed Lindows, I quit it the evil way (I flicked the power switch), and after that it didnt go into KDE anymore, and I was like "WTF? How do I get KDE back", lol. Well, my solution was simple, reinstall lindows, but if I had known how to get back into KDE, it would have saved me 8 minutes of installing.

I hope I wont fuck up when installing it, I'll at least wait till I have my new motherboard + athlon, cause I wanted to install XP again as well.

Wah, I dont have many questions left, so i'll just post this.

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 04:11 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

probably fscking one of the drives would have done it

dunno though, and you are right about the whole "learning" thing. Gentoo is good for that.

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 09:13 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Yay! no more questions Very Happy

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 09:45 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

lol :) , as if you dont like answering questions ....

[/sarcasm]

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 09:48 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Very Happy

^^ Very long post!

PostPosted: 11-03-2002 08:32 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Ah, I just finished compiling links, and I can already see why Pezko likes this more then he likes lynx Smile. Anyway, Im still having a bit of problem setting X up, and the docs arent really helping, so Ill go and recompile the kernell with all the usb stuff they say you should use.

Linux Distro's
 Mindcontroll Forum Index » Programs/Programming Development