Mindcontroll Forum Index
Mindcontroll Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<< » Read! :) Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 10-29-2002 07:38 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

ouroboross wrote:

shit that means, you're pretty fucked when it comes to me, and more importantly suislide!

BANANANA UNF UNF UNF !!!1!!!

Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna Bananna

You should e-mail me AND I tought of some more custom hacks.

I mean, I want to give users like ouroboross the change to change their nick once! So, a nice custom mod would be to give them that oppurtonity.

Im sure there are lots more things to mode, especially in the interface.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:04 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

i think the best way to solve this issue would be to use (develop?) a modpoint hack for vBB/phpBB

if you've ever been on a site like <a href="http://www.slashdot.org">Slashdot</a> [slashdot.org] you'll know how this works, but I'll explain anyway.

All posts have the ability to be moderated..

For example, a user can put +1, Funny or -1, Flamebait , etc (when they have modpoints)

This means that all posts get numerical ratings, and possibly a content rating.

(an example lifted from my profile would be)
Quote:
Re:Article a bit redundant (Score:4, Insightful)
by js995 on Saturday October 19, @07:40PM (#4485856)

The post's moderation totals were
Moderation Totals: Insightful=3, Total=3.
So after my post was created at a level of 1, three people with mod points, moderated it +1, Insightful

This moderation scheme is then joined by a view system, that allows users to choose what level of posts they see. If someone posted a lot of crap, they would get moderated down below the level of most people's view, and the comments would dissapear.

Its an idea, works well where I've seen it used previously. I still think using more of a custom system, which integrates all the community stuff together would be good.

Last edited by js995 on 10-29-2002 08:06 AM; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:20 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Hahaha, js995 I know exactly what you mean. Its also being used on a dutch computer site (for news only, they havent implented it on their 70.000 users forum). And you can do lots of fun stuff with it. For instance, if you have 500 modpoints you get minimal mod powers, etc.

And if you have -500 points (*COUGH* suislide *COUGH*) you'll get banned for a week or something. But their are more ways of making the forum more interesting, the news forum was a step in the right direction, but how about stuff like programming contests (I'll lose every time Razz), challenges, etc.

Someone could for instance make a security hole in a php script, put it up somewhere and say "Find the security hole and you win the challenge". And if you win the challenge you'll get a bunch of modpoints Smile.

As I said, I can think of millions of things to make, but I dont want to use vbb Smile.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:21 AM Reply with quote
oddduck
Sexy Bitch

You think we could maybe have an area to talk about certifications and so forth? (I'm off to write network+ today, I'll tell you all about it later)

Marianne

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:24 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

well, about the modpoints system :

im preparing a huge post/document on how the mod system should/could work and details of how to implement it through php and other things.

you are correct in taking them a step further, and thats why I am currently preparing that document, because I can see very very good things happening if points-based schemes were used to integrate a complete community

but thats all for now. if you know about this stuff, expect to get harrassed on MSN ! *hint* Very Happy

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:30 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

I dont know if I should feel lucky that I do not have access to msn, or that I should not Razz. Maybe I should start webbased msn. Yeah, I will, just DONT SPAM me when I get online, it makes things crash.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:36 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

vB source code is fscking evil to work with... the best source code is your own Smile

Maybe it should be done from scratch?

The idea about contest is kinda cool Smile

And to tumtum... can you use ssh from that evil place you are? I've never seen a place that block ssh Smile

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:52 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Ha, I cant even start programs the sysop doesnt want me to run (no wait, I can, vba was very helpfull thank you Smile ). And they use a proxy that only allows http traffic...

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 03:37 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

vBB -> phpBB Converter

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/convertors/vb2x_convert.zip

and vBB, IMO is not the best forum for hacks & scripts because it locks the work of the person making the hack into a commercial software product .. meaning they have to pay to develop the hack, then they cant redistribute prehacked stuff .. etc ..

thats why a lot of hacks dont even happen, because noone wants to spend lots of time on a product that costs them a yearly fee, when theres a perfectly good open-source alternative that gives them full rights to the stuff they make.

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 03:44 PM Reply with quote
M0nKeY
- Remember -

( ^ Js' comment above should be below this... But I posted only part of this thread prematurely)

Ok... let me respond to some of the stuff.

-Hmmm.. lose vbb, but first make a custom styleset for phpBB or whatever

I disagree with that... Unless you can find me vB import scripts for any of the freeware forums. Plus I still think that vB is the best forum for functionality and hacks. (By the end of the thread you will see I have changed my mind)

-Games section, with game reviews as a forum and game talk where you can discuss games or problems with games as a forum

I made the old Games/Movies Forum Viewable again. I might set up separate ones later. But if they are not being used they just take up space on the page.

-Some sort of real serious forum where stuff like sience / religion, etc. can be discussed

Howabout just a religion section in general discussion? I'm not sure we need a science section. I can see that being underused.

-I also vote for a ruleset for every forum (kinda like the faq I have made at the programming section)

Thats a good Idea I'll defiantly do that. If anyone wants to come up with rules for any of the sections feel free to post them. Then we can all look at them revise them and make it sticky. If not, I'll come up with some.

If you logout and try to reregister you'll see that people are giving a link to this thread before they register.

-I still think using more of a custom system, which integrates all the community stuff together would be good.

Yes yes that is totally what I would want to have here. But im not a programmer Sad My attempts to install vBPortal just fucked the database. If anyone could come up with a good community script that integrates everything, it would make me trash vB in a second. (Ideally there would be a way to import the current threads in some way, but this is not a necessity.)

-vB source code is fscking evil to work with... the best source code is your own Maybe it should be done from scratch?

Heh if you want to. That would be the best thing... The way that fark is really simple. Their forum doesn't even have sections. And the site doesn't have to serv out massive amounts of BW to each user because its simple.

Blah I cant read anymore yet. I just woke up.

I think ditching vB would be a good Idea. Maybe integrate stuff like the image archive into some kinda original news posting/rating script. But I can't really tell you exactly how to go about it because I'm not a programmer.

BBL

(EDIT, if you guys design a system around phpBB, Ikon board, Burning Board, Invision Board, or ANY of the other free scripts. And it has a vBB import script I would defiantly implement it here.)

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 04:06 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

You say you are not a programmer. Well, there are a couple of ppl on this board that are, and I think could do something in a pretty short time. TumTum said 6 months for a forum system. I think that's waaaay too long, since I made a fully working forum in less than one week... Wink

I have some components that can be used as a base to work on too...

The question is, does anyone want to do it? Smile If anyone does, maybe a new thread in programming/development forum is a good idea...? I'm intrested in helping if anyone else is intrested...

PostPosted: 10-29-2002 04:36 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

before your post was made, i started typing this :

http://66.78.32.3/~legal-ch/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=5138

its a mass of information, and i'd really like to develop it toward a specification

count me in on implementation (have to get my PHP up to scratch some more, but it'd be good)

Also need lots of feedback/comments from non-programmer people on anything that doesnt seem right & any other features that might be worth having. Please post any ideas you have in the development thread, as well as anything else you might want to add

Last edited by js995 on 10-29-2002 04:48 PM; edited 1 time in total

im in
PostPosted: 10-29-2002 08:07 PM Reply with quote
Dark Creature
Eats Boogers

I am in for vbscript, java, javascript, actionscript, 3d studiop graphix, vb.net, c++.net and or CGI if needed.

ps
if ther could be two programming sections one for chat and one for posts of programs divided by language that'd be sweet!
View user's profile Find all posts by %s Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

Re: im in
PostPosted: 10-30-2002 07:19 AM Reply with quote
Pezko

Dark Creature wrote:

I am in for vbscript, java, javascript, actionscript, 3d studiop graphix, vb.net, c++.net and or CGI if needed.

ps
if ther could be two programming sections one for chat and one for posts of programs divided by language that'd be sweet!

with CGI you mean Perl?

And dividing the programming section seems to me a bad idea atm, since there is not that many users Smile

PostPosted: 10-30-2002 09:26 PM Reply with quote
Dark Creature
Eats Boogers

fine! degrade my ideas!
View user's profile Find all posts by %s Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

Read! :)
 Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<<