Mindcontroll Forum Index
Mindcontroll Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<< » The reason warez exists
The reason warez exists
PostPosted: 07-01-2002 03:24 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

Ok, here is my opinion why warez exist!

It is because the licensing system! If games and apps would be free software, what would the difference in how you buy/dl games/apps be?

I know I would still buy stuff I thought deserved it, and download and try some games. Of course I wouldn't buy stuff like 3DSMax, for the simple reason I don't have the money.

I have a little theory that companies would not lose money on making their games/apps free software, instead they would actually gain money from it... But, I'm not gonna say anything about that, at least not now!

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 03:30 PM Reply with quote
Freakazoid

What, you wanna put in a 5 minute commercial intermition between each Quake3 respawn?

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 03:31 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

make commercial use for non-free versions only, that way the people who dont gain from using the software dont pay.

result !

btw: for anyone who disagrees, take WPA as a point, m$ introduced it and now it made winxp piracy a competition, who can crack/fix and get round it ... therefore making warez even more attractive. i.e they made the problem worse

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 03:32 PM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Well, The reason warez started out was just because people liked sharing their stuff with friends. For instance 2 people buy one game and then they make a copy. After a while the producers started putting protection on their software and only the people that knew how to crack were able to share. These people have passed the knowledge to their friends and so they could form groups and still share the software they bought. After a while the different groups started to rival with each other, just for fun so it became a race for getting the newest stuff cracked as fast as possible. Rules started coming to avoid stuff like duplicates and to punish bad cracks. After a the groups where working on a world wide basis and then came the internet. And that made the need for couriers a lot less (Ive got a bunch of really old nfo's and emags and all release groups are begging for couriers), so people started releasing crap just to get their shit on time and the whole sharing part kinda blended out. Nowadays its all bout credits, the scene doesnt seem to care about copyright, company's going broke and stuff like that, they only care for getting their stuff faster as everyone else.

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 05:38 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

Freakazoid wrote:

What, you wanna put in a 5 minute commercial intermition between each Quake3 respawn?

umm?

TumTum wrote:

Nowadays its all bout credits, the scene doesnt seem to care about copyright, company's going broke and stuff like that, they only care for getting their stuff faster as everyone else.

Evil! The companies does NOT loose lots of money because of warez.

90% of ppl doing warez download things they wouldn't have bought! So, example one, without warez: Person doesn't buy anything. Example two, with warez: Person download the game. How can a company loose any money from that?

The reason for this is mostly one of two things. Either the thing is too expensive, for example 3dsmax. Who the fuck pays $3000 for an app?

The other reason is that it's a crappy game/app that is not worth paying for, in other words, a game/app he wouldn't have bought anyway!

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 05:45 PM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Excuse me, but company's do lose money. If there werent any warez you would have to buy a lot more games to find out if you'd like them or not, however I do agree on the 3ds Max thing, That is a perfect example of what warez should be about, but it isnt, $5 dollar programs get ripped cause people want credits on sites.

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 05:48 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

TuMTuM wrote:

Excuse me, but company's do lose money. If there werent any warez you would have to buy a lot more games to find out if you'd like them or not...

Yes, they do lose money, but not much. You can find out if you like a game by demos.. Sure, some demos are crappy, but most often you get a good feeling about how a game is, and decide if you want to spend money on it.

And I still haven't gotten any comments on my "solution" to it.... Smile

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 05:53 PM Reply with quote
M0nKeY
- Remember -

Heres an example of a company making MORE money from releaseing "Free" software.

Sierra released 3 versions of SWAT 3 Close Combat, elite, and tactical editions... Manly adding a few maps and MP support allong the way. The corperate bean counters got angry when sierra decided to reales the last version FREE to the owners of the previous versions of the software (Mind you they did at least buy SOMTHING). Eventually this INCREASED sales of the game and gave them then green light to crate the next game in the series...

Not quite on topic. But the only interesting tibit I have on the subject at the moment. Yes

PostPosted: 07-01-2002 05:55 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

/me points out that he means free software, as in GPL software, not free software as in freeware

mmk?

PostPosted: 07-04-2002 06:27 PM Reply with quote
Sgt.Slice
Eats Boogers

the reason warez are around is because paying for shit sucks

21 inch Hitachi .16 monitor
20 gig 7200 rpm harddrive
Air Wave 900 watt sub woofer 3d gaming system
View user's profile Find all posts by %s Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

PostPosted: 07-05-2002 09:10 AM Reply with quote
Shn
R.I.P.

I wish there were more useful posts like yours, sgt slice.
And, btw, it's nice to have new members that introduce themselves !

PostPosted: 07-05-2002 09:14 AM Reply with quote
[G-Force]
mONkEY

Last edited by [G-Force] on 02-21-2010 01:51 PM; edited 1 time in total

lol
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 12:02 PM Reply with quote
Sgt.Slice
Eats Boogers

sorry , i havent really been on these boards at all , but i have been around since fg4a , my old user name was Vegeta175

but anyway , hello all

21 inch Hitachi .16 monitor
20 gig 7200 rpm harddrive
Air Wave 900 watt sub woofer 3d gaming system
View user's profile Find all posts by %s Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

PostPosted: 07-07-2002 04:06 PM Reply with quote
[G-Force]
mONkEY

The reason warez exists
 Mindcontroll Forum Index » >>>>>>>>>> TALK GOES HERE <<<<<<<<<<