Mindcontroll Forum Index
Mindcontroll Forum Index FAQ Memberlist Search

Mindcontroll Forum Index » Programs/Programming Development » [Idea] Interesting Program..
[Idea] Interesting Program..
PostPosted: 09-21-2002 08:34 AM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

Well, had this document sitting on my harddisk for some time so I thought i might as well share it with some people who might be more keen to start than i am Smile

program based around the IRC protocol ...

File Sharing
Direct connect style nicklists and file offering. Data can be relayed across in hidden channels. The method the program uses to send files (yes, i have a specification for this, but im not gonna go into it) is/should be NAT proof and automatically work around firewalls as much as possible (such as changing connection starts from or to the client on the other side). The filesharing system is a very close interpretation of direct connect natively, but should also work seamlessly with XDCC bots (to make the current XDCC channels into huge repositories). This could easily be done by interpreting adverts intelligently through the software.

More personalised chat
The program should maintain a buddy list, which could show whether users were online (this part requires more thought, as how to separate users on irc networks independent of networks ? perhaps only with this client ?) It should be fully possible to create conversations with people across a few irc networks, with the host of the conversation relaying information, and an intelligent data-gathering scheme allowing the remaining clients to connect back to each other even if the host leaves (i.e establishing connection to another person in the conversation on join, but in an idle state).

Security
Should be integrated with *suggest* OpenSSL to allow high encryption of all data, be it file transfers, chats or otherwise. This is a key failing of the IRC protocol, and encryption is key to prevent sniffing. Users could be given MD5 hash identifiers based on their system config (a la windows xp authentication) to make them personally identifiable (for nicklisting OR identify validation) perhaps ssh style trusted keys ? (works for channels too, with user keys being able to be banned etc)

detailed, and complicated ... but perhaps worthwhile ?

*may be modified Very Happy*

PostPosted: 09-21-2002 11:12 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

So what you basically want to do, is have each user have some sort of file server on it, and when they connect to an irc server, join a channel and have their server send out details (such as files on the client) over the channel wich the other users can pick up and translate into a file list that they can search.

PostPosted: 09-21-2002 12:02 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

its kinda more like building an advanced layer over the IRC protocol that makes existing networks into p2p networks. (kinda)

perhaps (looking closer at this idea) its kinda a mixture of direct connect over irc, mixed with some IM style functions i was thinking of would be good on irc.

basically, for the file sharing, you can just click a user in the list to see what files they are sharing (browse mode) or do a search. The file availability would probably be shown by the modified client putting out a message specifying what services it offers, then highlighting, say, an icon next to the user that shows they can do file transfer.

This app wasnt really thought up as some uber-p2p app, just as a easy way to communicate in groups, and distribute files (even over projects, the latest builds of stuff etc). Its more of an enhanced community thingy.

hope that clears some stuff up Very Happy

PostPosted: 09-22-2002 12:56 PM Reply with quote
Pezko

Ok, as you already know I'm intrested in this idea, and if someone wants to start with it, I'll join* Smile

I don't have time starting it myself, I have school and my game to think about Smile

* Of course depending on who starts it Smile

PostPosted: 09-22-2002 02:35 PM Reply with quote
Dawgy
Burn your flag.

sounds v.interesting.. Smile wish i knew more programming :/

PostPosted: 09-22-2002 03:27 PM Reply with quote
js995
Deletes your posts

developing a clearer picture of what this whole idea is all the time Wink .. will post much more info soon, in the mean time, criticism of what i have posted above is much appreciated (helps me build the specification for the real thing better, y'know)

To help develop ideas, im thinking along these kind of usages ... If you have more, post ! Very Happy

• people with a similar taste in music collecting together in a channel and sharing albums and mp3's with each other
  • people who join big xdcc channels and leech away (think kazaa users and you're on the lines)
  • starting a conversation with some friends, two of whom are on efnet, the rest on some other net, all ssl and all as if they are together
  • a group working on a project , sharing ideas and files as close to real time as possible, instead of wasting time uploading to ftp etc

PostPosted: 09-22-2002 04:54 PM Reply with quote
M0nKeY
- Remember -

What your talking about sounds like a combination. Of IRC, Soulshare, Kaza, ECT. a kind of "SUPERPROGRAM". Yes Good Luck. I'm always available for beta testing. The cross network chat rooms sound interesting... but im not quite shure how you could pull that off....

PostPosted: 09-23-2002 01:38 AM Reply with quote
TuMTuM
Will code HTML for food!

Monkey wrote:

What your talking about sounds like a combination. Of IRC, Soulshare, Kaza, ECT. a kind of "SUPERPROGRAM". Yes Good Luck. I'm always available for beta testing. The cross network chat rooms sound interesting... but im not quite shure how you could pull that off....

Well, cross networks would be simple if you would just let there be one central 'buddy' server and from there choose a network that they will all join (probably the one that most are already on) and join a private chatroom. Private messaging could be done over the buddy server itself, or if people are on the same network over IRC.

[Idea] Interesting Program..
 Mindcontroll Forum Index » Programs/Programming Development