[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
Dozens are in hospital, some in a critical condition, after the attack on the Kyoto Animation studio.
- Iran seizes 'fuel-smuggling' tanker in Gulf
The vessel and its 12 crew were smuggling one million litres of fuel, Iran says.
- Brazil dam: How German firm approved Brazil dam before it burst
Six months after nearly 300 people died, new evidence emerges suggesting it could have been prevented.
- Man finds own amputated leg on cigarette packets without consent
The image was used next to the message "smoking clogs your arteries", but the leg was lost after an assault.
- Conjoined twins: Sisters meet surgeons who separated them
Ritaj and Rital were born joined at the head. They're reunited with the doctors who saved their lives.
- Donald Trump impeachment bid crushed in House of Representatives
The Democrat-controlled US House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly against the measure.
- UK MPs back bid to block Parliament suspension
The measure aims to stop a future PM bypassing Parliament to push through a no-deal Brexit.
- Saravana Bhavan 'dosa king' dies after medical plea rejected
P Rajagopal's death comes nine days after the Supreme Court rejected a plea for bail on medical grounds.
- Red List: Extinction threat to overlooked species
Fish, snails and fungi join a list of threatened species, as conservationists say small, slimy species have been overlooked.
- Ayia Napa: Twelve teenagers in court after 'British woman raped'
The group of Israeli teenagers, aged from 15 to 18, have been remanded in custody.
- Dolphin megapod spotted off California coast swimming alongside boat
Onlookers watched as a huge pod of dolphins - known as a super- or megapod - swam alongside them.
- Circle K stores ditch 'Secretary Day' condom offer
The ad urged shoppers to surprise female secretaries with a gift of a wine, chocolate and condoms.
- Flat Earth: How did YouTube help spread a conspiracy theory?
Many people who believe the Earth is not round first heard the idea on YouTube. But how important was the video-sharing website in helping the flat Earth movement grow?
- Sounding alert about vanishing US coastlines
A new photography book captures the environmental threat to America's coastal region.
- The distinctive style of the anime studio hit by fire
Devotees of the KyoAni studio are pouring out love, support and money in response to the tragedy.
- Rare New Zealand parakeet has best breeding season in decades
There are at most only 300 kakariki karaka parakeets in the world, but this year they had 150 chicks.
- Game of Thrones stars self-nominate for Emmy Awards
Gwendoline Christie, Alfie Allen and Carice van Houten successfully submitted their own nominations.
- Sir Paul McCartney to write It's A Wonderful Life musical
The former Beatle is working on a stage adaptation of Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life.
- The city where drought is visible from space
Chennai is India's sixth largest city, but its residents are relying on trucks and trains to bring them water.
- Online critics poke fun at Canada 'warship' library
Edmonton residents say the new building looks like "a land-locked ship converted to a library".
- University of East Anglia student raps 10,000-word dissertation
Hip-hop lover Nicholas Uzoka was given permission to rap instead of write his final coursework.
- The Indian school exam controversy that cost 23 lives
The suicides have put India's competitive exams in the spotlight amid allegations of errors in marking.
- Trekking 10,000km across Africa for a football match
A Zimbabwean football fan travels from Cape Town to Cairo by road and finds "Africa is not friendly to Africans".
- Puerto Rico: Protests over homophobic text messages
Protesters are calling for the resignation of the governor following a leak of homophobic messages.
- What to look out for at Comic-Con 2019: Picard, Terminator, Batwoman and more
This year's blockbuster convention will include sneak previews of Batwoman, The Terminator and more.