[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
Australia's most senior Catholic figure is accused of "historical" offences, police say.
- Brazil Temer: Car 'rams gate of presidential palace'
A car reportedly rams the gate of the president's palace as pressure grows on Michel Temer to resign.
- US orders tougher airline screening
The feared extension is not included in a raft of strict new screening rules on flights into the US.
- Migrant crisis: Italy threatens to shut ports
Foreign vessels may be blocked from landing, reports say, as Italy reaches "saturation point".
- Inmarsat's European short-haul wifi spacecraft launches
The UK's biggest space company takes the next step in its project to boost wifi in planes over Europe.
- London terror hero: 'I wasn't backing down'
Wayne Marques was the first officer to face all three London Bridge attackers during their rampage.
- YouTube book shooting ends in death
A teenager killed her boyfriend as he held a thick book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet.
- Trump holds $10m fundraiser at his hotel
A re-election fundraising event at his hotel in Washington raises fears about conflicts of interest.
- Chile reaches Confederations Cup final
Manchester City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo saves three penalties as Chile reach the Confederations Cup final by beating Portugal on penalties.
- China bails activists at shoe factories linked to Ivanka Trump
Activists investigating Chinese factories which made Ivanka Trump shoes are freed pending trial.
- FBI investigating 2021 Athletics World Championships award to Eugene, Oregon
The FBI is investigating the awarding of the 2021 Athletics World Championships to Eugene, Oregon, the BBC has learnt.
- Brexit 'will blow hole in budget', EU commissioner warns
Not only is the UK leaving but the EU also has pressing new spending demands, a commissioner warns.
- Hong Kong anniversary: Pro-democracy protesters arrested
At a symbolic monument to Hong Kong rejoining China, protesters called for greater democracy.
- Nigeria corruption investigator Austin Okwor survives shooting
The investigator is reported to have narrowly escaped death in the Port Harcourt attack.
- Japanese airline forces disabled man to crawl aboard
The Japanese man, paralysed below the waist, had to pull himself aboard without assistance.
- Designers reinvent the tree to beat air pollution
A team of German designers has reinvented the tree to clean up urban air pollution. Using the natural power of moss, they hope to make city air safer to breathe.
- Why Trump only has bad North Korea options
Steve Evans looks at the obstacles to the US and South Korea developing a strategy on the north.
- The defibrillator drone that can beat ambulance times
Drones could reach people suffering cardiac arrest faster than ambulances, according to a new trial.
- The strange things people put in luggage
A lobster in a passenger's bag is the latest of a long list of odd luggage items found at airports.
- Barack Obama and family enjoy Indonesia holiday
Former US president's visit receives saturation coverage in Indonesia, where he lived as a child.
- Paddington: Sharing childhood bears for Michael Bond
Bear lovers and fans around the world, including Stephen Fry, remember the joy the Paddington author brought them.
- Fake news: Trump golf resorts display fake Time magazine cover
A fake Time magazine cover featuring Donald Trump has been hanging in five of his golf clubs.
- This man had the chip from his travel card implanted under his skin
Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow asked a professional piercer to put his Opal card chip into his left hand.
- Glittering prize: The booming demand for opals
As global demand for opals soars, miners of the rare gemstones can make a fortune, but there is just one catch - they have to find them first.
- Why a 19th Century Russian poet is going viral on Facebook
A comment by a prominent politician has touched off a fevered debate over Russian influence in a former Soviet republic.